Friday, July 22, 2005

A day at the lodge

Mr. Hobbs and Lady Izzy are bidding Miss Jen a good day and they are leaving to go sailing . I had thought that Miss Jen was going along with them, but evidentually not. She is coming to the desk and smiling .

"How are you today?" I asked, "It is such a great day I thought maybe you were going sailing with Mr Hobbs and Lady Izzy."

"Nom" she replied, "They don't even realize it, but they are so made for each other and I don't want to get in the way ." "I would feel like a third wheel there. Let them enjoy the day together. I am going into town and wanted to ask you if there was anything I could get for you there, it would be no problem."

What a nice guesture. I did need some little things and asked her if she would be kind enough to get them at the store for me.

"Of course," she said, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to ." 

I asked her to wait a few minutes while I made a list and got her some money. In the meantime the family with the twins had come down all decked out for a day in the woods and hiking. I noticed that they were going into the dinning room for breakfast and that the waitress was bring in a basket for them also. They must have called ahead and ordered a picnic basket to take with them. How great that would be. The country around this lodge is breathtaking and they will love the many marked trails. 

As I handed the list and money to Miss Jen and she was leaving from the elevator came a galloping herd of children with mom and dad in tow. I had to bite my lip, because that poor couple had their hands full. The kids were not bad, just curious and active. They never stopped talking the whole time they ate their breakfast and they were taking a vote on what to do first. I walked over to the table and wished them a good morning. The mom asked me what I thought would be a good thing to do on their first day here and I told her about the beautiful waterfalls throughout the mountains and that she could take a small trolly tour offered by the hotel for its guests at a very reasonable family price. They all seemed very interested in that and they decided to get their sweaters and go on that tour. I told them to take a camera and plenty of film because they would want to take pictures of what they saw. They could spend about 3-4 hours on that tour as the guide would wait for them until all were back in the trolly and he never rushed anyone. He loved his job, I explained, because he was a retired bus driver and hated not doing anything all day, so every other day, he drove the trolly and took guests all around a planned tour.

Well, seems that all the new guests are taken care of and now we have to set up for lunch and the people that come here from all over just to eat. We get alot of people passing through and once they come here and see how beautiful it is and the fine food and service we have, most come back again and again and some even come to stay for a week or weekend. 

The chelf is planning a wonderful lunch and his roast beef and dumplings are the best I ever had. He has made a lemon mergine pie to die for and a cheescake with strawberries and he puts a light zigzag of chocolate syrup over all. Gosh! it makes my mouth water just to think of it!!!!!!

Every thing seems to be in order, so I am going into my office and do my paper work and let the crew do their jobs. My assistant and secetary Diane will take care of the front for now and maybe I can catch up on this pile of never ending paper that keeps growing on my desk. I swear there is a nymph that sneaks in here at night and puts more paper on my desk, because it seems the minute I get it pretty cleaned up, the next time I come in here it is overflowing in the basket again.

I will never be able to explain how I feel about this place that my mom and dad ran for so many years and gave to me when they passed on. It is in my blood these Catskill Mountains and I will never leave them. 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story!! This is truly a good beginning and I want more to read

Anonymous said...

is there a way to make reservations to this lodge?? HUH? great work

Sandy

Anonymous said...

this sounds interesting   I like this place of peace

Marie

Anonymous said...

Great pics and a Great story.