Sunday, July 17, 2005

REGISTERING NEW GUESTS

Our week usually runs from Saturday thru Sunday morning. We have some guests that stay for a week and then others for two or more. I think it depends on how far they come to be here. The closer they live the fewer days they stay because they know they can come back sooner and more often.  We also have a monthly plan for our people that stay here year round. My dad started it when he was asked by a few people if he would be able to accomodate them. They loved it here so much that they didn't want to leave. Dad was a kind and loving man, and was pleased to help these people out and any others should they want to stay on for a longer length of time.

Dad took part of this huge lodge and turned it into more of a condo type situation than a lodge. He made the "apartments" larger and put in a very small kitchen and sitting room as well as a small dining area if the long term guest would like to entertain in their "apartments". He made up special leases for them, because he really didn't know these people well when they first asked him to let them stay and it provides for us to evacuate anyone that is distructive or not compatable to the other guest here at the lodge. We have been very lucky in dads choices so far, and have a few that stay here as their home year round.

Today there is a family checking in and they seem so excited to be here. There name is O'Reily and there is a mother, father and two children about the age of 15, twins in fact. What a lovely family they are. I have set them up on the third floor overlooking the waterfalls and the lake from the side windows. I know they will enjoy the view from there.

Now, an elderly couple has come to register and they seem so happy like newlyweds. They have stated that it is their 60th wedding anniversary and that their children had made these resversations for them because they knew that they always wanted to come to the Catskill mountains and this lodge. I thanked them and helped them register and sent them off to their room.

All of a sudden a lot of noise and laughing could be heard from the doorway and I looked and smiled as a frazzled mom and dad came in with 4 small children in tow. I love children and I could see the excitment in their eyes as they looked all over the main lobby and each child was asking  a different question from their parents. "Can we go swimming?""Can we go look at the falls?""Can we get something to eat, I am hungry?" All talking at once and the poor parents trying to register, I nodded to Diane to take the children to the main sitting room and show them the view out of the windows. It was early morning and with the mist rising you can see a rainbow that extends from one mountain to the other. We are ideally situated in a valley between the two mountain ranges.  She called to them to come with her and she would show them something wonderful. All the kids ran after her in excitement and the parents just sighed and thanked me. They registered and I told them to go and look also and that I would have someone take up their baggage for them. They hadn't had much of a breakfast they said as they had left early because they were coming from New Jersey, so I told them that they would be able to see the rainbow from the dinning room through our massive windows there. As they left to gather up their children and take them for breakfast, Miss Izzy came down for her breakfast and tipped her head to me and said good morning. She was dressed in a blue cotton dress and a blue shaw. On her feet she had small blue sneakers with little bows on them. I had to bite my tongue not to smile, because they looked so cute and she would not appreciate me smiling about them. I know my Miss Izzy. We all call her Lady Izzy here. She is quite the lady and always speakes her mind whether you want to hear her opinion or not. I wondered if she was going out on Mr. Hobbs boat with him again today. Mr. Hobbs is another regular and he loves sailing and we are taking bets that he loves Lady Izzy too.

Just as I was thinking all of this, Mr. Hobbs came down and approached Lady Izzy and the two of them went into breakfast together. Just as I had thought. They were going sailing today. Mr. Hobbs had on his Captains hat and a shirt and short set. He usually dressed that way when he went for a sail. He promised to take me one day , but I always seem to be too busy to go. Maybe one day, I would really love to go for a sail.

Our family with the 4 children have finished their breakfast and they are going into the elevator and to their rooms . I am still smiling as the doors to the elevator are closing and you cand still hear the children asking a million questions. God bless moms and dads, I can remember being the same way myself.

Diane is coming in laughing and saying that those kids must have asked her a million questions about why the rainbow is there, and if it always came and many, many other questions she said she didn't have time to answer one before they shot another at her. We just smiled and laughed. I love this lodge and I love the people that come to it and enjoy all we have to offer.

Time for me to go to the meeting with the chef and sou chef and decide on tomorrows lunch and dinner menu. Then I have to see Mrs Landers and make sure she has all the supplies that she needs to take care of the rooms. Paula, our entertainment advisor asked to speak to me to later this morning and so I will have another busy and active day, I hope I have time for lunch. I am starving.

Just as I was heading out Miss Jennifer Sanders, or Jen as she likes us to call her came out of the elevator and approached me. She asked how I was and said that I looked a bit over taxed today. Our Miss Jen could tell by looking at you how you were feeling and sometimes I swear she could tell what you were thinking. I smiled, and reassured her that all was well, and that it was only the ritual of registering all the guests today and seeing to the running of the lodge that kept me hoping today. She nodded and started walking in to the dinning room for her breakfast and I noticed that she sat down with Mr. Hobbs , and Lady Izzy. Maybe they were all going for a sail today. I hoped they were because she seemed so lonely sometimes and it would be good for her to socialize with the others. Miss Jen is a retired counsler and has chosen to live a quiet life here with us at the lodge. I feel she is much to young to be here all by herself and I hope that one day she will meet someone that will make her happy and maybe just more than that.

Well, I really have to get a move on , or I won't get any dinner either. Now, who was I seeing first? Oh! the chef! ok off I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it..what a great book this is going to be..or maybe even a play..just maybe..
jo..Hannahthemaid..

Anonymous said...

how enchanting    a lodge and all its people just waiting for us to get to know