Thursday, August 4, 2005

The Wedding Anniversary Dinner Surprise

Everything has quieted down and all the early dinner guest have eaten and left the dinning area. I had received a telephone call from the family of the couple celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary and they have planned a very special dinner and asked my help in keeping the couple busy for a short time as they were all coming up and surprising their grandma and grandpa. I was more than happy to make the necessary arrangements for this festist occassion.

The older couple had taken the trolly ride and they were still out and had not returned to the lodge so there was plently of time to set up the special room and decorate it and sneak in all the family that had come to help them celebrate this special day.

They finally came in and they seemed so tired from their day out and even had gotten a slight sunburn. They were standing in the lobby and I could hear them trying to decide if they were going to order dinner in their room or come down to the dinning area for dinner. I had to think quickly and I put a smile on my face and walked toward them and as I got closer, I asked them how their day had been . They both agreed that the Catskills were wonderful and that they had a wonderful time, but that they were tired and were thinking of having dinner in their rooms so that they wouldn't have to get all showered and changed to come to the dinning room. Afterall, they said, they both were hot and clammy and would need showers and couldnt decide. I put on my biggest smile and said that it wouldnt be a special day if they ate all by themselves upstairs in their room and that it would be worth the time spent getting changed and coming down for dinner as the dinning in room service was slow today as i was short handed.

Wearyly they agreed to go and come back down as soon as they could.  Wow!! That would have been terrible if they had to be told about the family waiting in the other room. I went to that room and told them that their grandparents were back and would be down shortly to dine.

They were pretty quick for an older couple, they must have been very hungry, cause they only took about 45 minutes and they both came down looking like a million bucks.

They asked me to show them to a table and I told them that the dinning area was overflowing and that their were special tables set up in the room that faced the outer face of the moutain range. I asked them to follow me and when I opened the door all the family inside yelled Happy Anniversary!!  I thought they were going to faint. The grandmother put her hand on her heart and the granddad just looked as if he was in shock.  I love these surprises and I love them even more when I can help make them happen. Here were two beautiful and loving people with a loving family that had traveled a long distance just to celebrate this special day with grandparents that they loved.

Of course, we made arrangements for the whole family to stay the night, so there would be no reason for them to have to leave early and miss out on all the fun.

This is one of the many reasons why I love this lodge so very much. I thank God every day that my dad and mom bought and built up this wonderful lodge. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOw nice to be able to work in a place like this and have so many happy days ahead to look forward to. Jenny

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a marvellous experience.

Anonymous said...

now that is living how i wish for that